There are several different CPT codes that are commonly used for speech therapy services, depending on the specific type of treatment being provided. Some of the most common CPT codes for speech therapy include:
Speech Therapy CPT Codes for Billing
Speech, Language, Voice, and Cognition
- 92507: Treatment of speech, language, voice, communication, and/or auditory processing disorder; individual
- 92520: Laryngeal function studies
- 92521: Evaluation of speech fluency (e.g., stuttering, cluttering)
- 92523: Evaluation of speech sound production (e.g., articulation, phonological process, apraxia, dysarthria); with evaluation of language comprehension and expression (e.g., receptive and expressive language)
- 97129: Direct (one-on-one) patient contact for the first 15 minutes, therapeutic interventions that focus on cognitive function (such as attention, memory, reasoning, executive function, problem solving, and/or pragmatic functioning), and compensatory strategies to manage the performance of an activity (such as managing time or schedules, initiating, organising, and sequencing tasks); initial 15 minutes of therapy.
- 97533: Sensory integrative techniques to enhance sensory processing and promote adaptive responses to environmental demands; each 15 minutes
- 92522: Evaluation of speech sound production (e.g., articulation, phonological process, apraxia, dysarthria)
- 92523: Evaluation of language understanding and expression, in addition to evaluation of speech sound production such as articulation, phonological process, apraxia, and dysarthria (e.g., receptive and expressive language)
- 92524: Behavioral and qualitative analysis of voice and resonance
- 92606: Therapeutic services for the use of non-speech-generating augmentation and alternative communication device
- 92609: Therapeutic services for the use of speech-generating device
- 31575: Laryngoscopy; flexible; diagnostic
- 31579: Laryngoscopy; flexible or rigid telescopic, with stroboscopy
- 92610: Evaluation of oral and pharyngeal swallowing function
- 92611: Motion fluoroscopic evaluation of swallowing function by cine or video recording
- 92612: Flexible fiberoptic endoscopic evaluation of swallowing by cine or video recording
It’s important to note that these are just a few of the many CPT codes that may be used for speech therapy services. There are many other codes that may be used depending on the specific type of treatment being provided and the needs of the individual.
If you are seeking speech therapy and are concerned about the cost of treatment, it’s a good idea to check with your insurance provider to see what services are covered and to confirm which CPT codes will be used to bill for your treatment. This will help you understand what you can expect to pay out-of-pocket and can help you budget for your treatment.
Overall, speech therapy treatment helps individuals improve their communication skills. This can include helping someone learn to speak more clearly or fluently, or it can involve helping someone who has difficulty understanding spoken language or expressing themselves.
Speech therapy can be provided to people of all ages, from young children to seniors, and is often covered by health insurance.Understanding the different CPT codes that are used to bill for these services can help you make informed decisions about your treatment and ensure that you are getting the care you need.